The Family is Gathering
Many families organise a get together or gathering at least once a year – not always Christmas or Easter, but always a wonderful occasion to spend time with those we don’t see every day. The usual hurdle is space – not one single house can accommodate all the members of a growing family. This is were Deneholme comes in:
A secluded Country House which can be hired catered or self catering for any period of time exclusively for your family! Deneholme sleeps up to 40 people in 11 bedrooms and there is ample of space downstairs too; a sun room leading into the garden, a drawing room with dining space for all the family around one large table, a cosy library and a spacious games room.We do cater for all age groups – from accessible bathrooms up and downstairs, a lift to all floors all the way to high chairs, changing mats and travel cots, we are well equipped to make your stay comfortable and stress free.
is a wonderful relaxing space – a wood burning stove creates a beautiful light and atmosphere, the floor to ceiling windows overlook the gardens and woodlands – a special space to chat and relax, read a newspaper, eat cake or drink wine.
The drawing & dining room
is an open plan “country house” space able to seat 36 people around three table islands or 50 people in a t-shape table formation. There are large Edwardian bay windows overlooking the grounds, a few steps lead down to the sunroom.
is the perfect space for quiet or smaller activities, i.e. board or video games, reading – obviously – or making it into a little cinema for the children. This room is also used as the bar for large family parties of over 100 guests.
The ball or games room
is the perfect large indoor space – to dance, play pool, play table tennis or other games, to run around, have a disco, ceilidh dance, karaoke sing along and much more. Big double french doors lead onto a west facing decking area and the bonfire pit.
- BedroomsOur 11 bedrooms consist of 5 ensuite rooms (Allenheads, Carrshields, Langley, Sinderhope and Mohope) one large family room with its bathroom next door (Whitfield) and 5 bedrooms that share facilities (Staward, Catton, Ninebanks, Swinhope, Sparty Lea). The shared facilities are spacious and newly refurbished: 2 showers and a toilet for the ladies and 2 showers and 2 toilets for the gentlemen.
- The Grounds
There is a total of 5 acres of grounds surrounding Deneholme on all sides: the car park with space for at least 20 cars (spill over into the neighbouring field possible) is out front, to the sides are little lawned areas with a bonfire pit and wood stores, the back is laid to lawn with little steps and two wooden decking areas. The rest – and biggest proportion of the grounds – is on steep ground through mature woodland with a little river at the bottom our “our dene”.
You can book Deneholme with as much or as little catering as you wish:
- Self catering – you will have full access to all the kitchen facilities at Deneholme (6 ring gas cooker, gas oven as well as 4 level electric oven, large fridge, microwave, toaster and anything else you could wish for.
- Breakfasts only – enjoy a continental buffet followed by a full English buffet at the time you want to get up. No dishes, no cooking, just plenty of freshly prepared food just for your family.
- Breakfasts and evening meals – this is the most popular catering option: breakfast is provided as well as a delicious home cooked meal – that you choose. We can also prepare a BBQ or formal three course candle light dinner.
- If you do choose the “full package” all of the above is included as well as either: a packed lunch for your day or a high tea type lunch at Deneholme including soups, sandwiches, scones and cake.
- ActivitiesYou can book Deneholme without any organised activities – but if you fancy it at short notice, here are our popular “self organised” activities:BECKs Bike Hire (all bike sizes & trailers) – details
Orienteering (free on site orienteering course)
Walks (Hadrian’s Wall or around Allendale)
Fly fishing at Sweethope Loughs – details
Other activities which must be booked in advance include:Archery Competitions
Canoeing and Raft Building
Rock Climbing & Abseiling
- Allendale Town
Allendale, often marked on maps as Allendale Town, really is a beautiful village – The Calor Village of the Year for all of England in fact. (Year 2006/07) Situated in the south west of Northumberland with just over 2,000 inhabitants, Allendale has an amazing infrastructure: There is a well stocked, large Coop, a pharmacy, doctors, a post office, and art gallery & cafe, 3 pubs who all serve food, tea rooms, a gift shop and a second hand store. Allendale – 15 minutes’ drive from Hexham, 40 minutes from Newcastle upon Tyne in the East and Carlisle in the West – also boosts good access to public transport and the road network. Families often choose Allendale as it is a fairly central point for those family member in Scotland, South of England, the East and the West of the country.
There are plenty of beautiful fell walks amidst the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as along the famous Hadrian’s Wall. Visitors to the area will discover a place of exceptional beauty – a nationally protected landscape that is steeped in history, rich in wildlife, local traditions and culture.
We do price every event individually, depending on the time of year, how many nights you book, your catering requirements, the age of any children (under 3 year old’s are free, 3-11 year old children half price) and whether or not you are booking activities. Here a very rough guide:
|B&B per night||2 course Evening Meal||Lunch Buffet||Self Catering per night|
|30 or more||£40||£12||£8||£970|
Please note that these prices are guidelines only – they can go up, depending on demand and occasion, time of year and individual group requirements. (i.e. New Year rates are higher, please get in touch to get a quote.) The prices also do not include VAT.